Over the centuries the Church has picked up a lot of dirt, like a snowball rolling across a gravel pit. Many of our erroneous beliefs and traditions began shortly after the death of the Apostles. Those leaders who followed in the steps of the Apostles were faced with a constant and persistent attack from false teachers and heretics. The “push back” was valiant, but TIME and Satan were not cooperative. By the third century, there were so many corrupt teachings and customs that it was a stroll through the park for the Roman Emperor, Constantine the Great, to merge PAGANISM into Christianity, Church with State, and a complete transformation was well on its way. With rabid antisemitism saturating the Church, every semblance of our Jewish root was driven from our thought and practice.
Whereas the Lord’s Table had previously been celebrated yearly in the DAYS OF UNLEAVENED BREAD, the Church turned the corner toward Romanized practices following the harsh treatment of those who persisted in orthodoxy. Nearly all succumbed to Roman pressure and the Lord’s Table became institutionalized in “Holy communion”. Power drifted upward and away from the local assembly to ROME. Christianity quickly transformed from a “faith” to a CULTURE, and remains so today. The Lord’s Table at Passover was shoved aside and EASTER took its place. “CHRIST MASS” soon replaced the detailed account of Luke 1-2-and 3 regarding the birth of Christ—-never mind that Luke held emphatically that no other teaching was known in all of the Churches than that which he revealed in his gospel [Luke 1].
For two centuries following the crucifixion of Jesus, there was never a time when the Churches celebrated the birth of the Savior. Even though there were many in the earliest Church who knew well when Jesus was born. Mary [the mother] certainly knew. James [the brother] certainly knew. The New Testament records that Jesus had several younger siblings, certainly they knew, and yet not a word, either in scripture or in secular historical records. Haven’t you ever wondered why? Don’t you understand that it is not the BIRTH of Jesus that was celebrated, rather, HIS DEATH till he comes.
Now we come to that detestable celebration known as Halloween. It is a time to awaken the dead and to celebrate the powers of hell. It is a time to carve grotesque faces into pumpkins and turnips and place a lighted candle inside to call forth the dead.
I was appalled when I entered the sanctuary of the Church-house last fall. There were little jack-o-lanterns sitting about. I challenged the lady who ran the information desk—–she was appalled at my attitude and rightly so. I should never have challenged anyone other than those individuals responsible for that insane display. The excuse they use goes something like this:—-”we don’t really celebrate Halloween. We understand that day is a pagan holiday. We call it “fall festival” and we use this day to counter the devil’s work. We celebrate Jesus and use this as an opportunity to witness for Christ.”
This is my response;—-we already have a nationally recognized “fall celebration” in America. It is called “Thanksgiving” and it is a time for Americans to give thanks for God’s abundant provision. The truth of the matter is that the Church doesn’t want anything the world has to offer to escape them. “Compromise” is a way of life in the Church. You can make ANYTHING OK if you just sprinkle a little jesus dust on it and call that which is evil—-good. Turn your blatant hypocrisy into something acceptable. Yeah—–that’s the ticket!
● When you enter the land the LORD your God is giving you, do not learn to imitate the detestable ways of the nations there. Let no one be found among you who sacrifices his son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead. Anyone who does these things is detestable to the LORD, and because of these detestable practices the LORD your God will drive out those nations before you. (Deu 18:9-12)
● Dear friend, do not imitate what is evil but what is good. (3 John 1:11)
● Test everything. Hold on to the good. Avoid every kind of evil. (1 Th 5:21,22)
● Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. (Rom. 12:9)
● Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them. (Eph 5:11)
● But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death. (Rev 21:8)
● Many of those who believed now came and openly confessed their evil deeds. A number who had practiced sorcery brought their scrolls together and burned them publicly. When they calculated the value of the scrolls, the total came to fifty thousand drachmas. (Acts 19:18].
If you truly want to expose Halloween————-drag all that Halloween paraphernalia into a public place and use it for tender to build a gigantic FIRE. Call the news media and invite them to cover the story——-better yet, ignore it altogether!
Like good King Asa in the Old Testament, our legacy may be that we failed to——
TEAR DOWN THE HIGH PLACES.
1 Kings 15:13-14
13 And also Maachah his mother, even her he removed from being queen, because she had made an idol in a grove; and Asa destroyed her idol, and burnt it by the brook Kidron.
14 But the high places were not removed: nevertheless Asa’s heart was perfect with the LORD all his days.
1 Kings 22:43
43 And he walked in all the ways of Asa his father; he turned not aside from it, doing that which was right in the eyes of the LORD: nevertheless the high places were not taken away; for the people offered and burnt incense yet in the high places.